Student Soars with Aviation Prize

Student James Hamilton recently took flight next to the pilot’s seat on an Air New Zealand plane in Queenstown as part of a prize he received to support studies in aviation and pursue a career as a pilot.

“I was very surprised and overwhelmed when my name was read out to receive one of the final awards,” that included the Air New Zealand experience, he said.

James’s interest in aviation was sparked by a childhood experience at the Warbirds over Wanaka flight demonstration, and grew through his Scouting experiences at the National Aviation School in Fielding and Walsh Memorial Scout Flying School in Matamata. He’s now working toward earning his private pilot’s license before he turns 18 and hopes to one day join the Royal New Zealand Air Force as a pilot.

“THS has always given me a great base in my studies towards aviation,” he said. “The teachers have always encouraged me to try my very hardest and go for excellence. All of my teachers have in some way inspired me by how passionate they are and how they enjoy teaching. It has really helped and enabled me to learn great study skills, how to interact with other people and that you only get out how much you put in.”

Congratulations to James! We hope to see you in the skies over New Zealand one day.