Meet the Candidates – Student Trustee Elections, 2021

Election 2021

CANDIDATE STATEMENTS

Please read the Candidate Statements (listed below in alphabetical order, according to their surname) from each of the Nominees for the Student Trustee election, 2021.  Voting takes place on Wednesday 23 September at LA time.  Vote wisely!

Tyler Groenewald, Year 11

TYLER GROENEWALD

Manaakitanga
everyone belongs, everyone matters, everyone has potential

Kia ora, Konnichwa, Guten tag, Talofa, Hallo and Hello.

My name is Tyler and I’m running for student representative 2021. During the time I’ve been at Thames High School there have been many amazing students I’ve come across that have strong, devoted and passionate opinions on ideas moving forward, around the school. In today’s world all many people want is to be heard and given an opportunity to change what we don’t like, as your representative you will be heard and there will be change. As a student representative I will strive to enforce change, communicate with students, represent our voice as a school, articulate the change we need or want and value everyone’s opinion at Thames High School. If successful my main goal is to reinforce Manaakitanga in all aspects of our schooling, making it not only a school value but a value to every student in the school. If given the opportunity to represent our voice as student’s I will do so with pride and respect for all students who have given me the opportunity to do so.

Helena Meyer, Year 12

HELENA MAYER

Kia ora koutou!!

Ko Helena Mayer tāku ingoa, ā, tekau mā ono āku tau.

I’ve been nominated as a candidate for the student trustee, a role ensuring that we are involved in the school’s big decisions. If I’m elected, I would use it as an opportunity to make a difference in our experience at school, focusing on creating positive change for some of the issues we are facing, so we all feel safe, like we belong, and can have fun.
In the past few years, I’ve been part of kapa haka, EARS, the environmental group, as well as painting a bunch of murals, and I hope these things will have given me the experience needed in being the student voice. I remember how intimidated I used to be by Year 13s, but I hope that if I’m elected anyone will be comfortable approaching me with suggestions for the Board. I have lots of ideas for things to change, but I’m very keen to hear anyone else’s thoughts. I think it is really important that everyone’s perspective is listened to, especially people whose voices are usually ignored.

Kia pai ā koutou wiki, kia kaha i te reo Māori!

Ngā mihi nui,
Helena

Claire Smith, Year 12

CLAIRE SMITH

Kia Ora

As a Year 12 student I have spent two years in the Kete system and almost two years in the NCEA credit system. During this time, I have noticed Thames High School strengths and weaknesses in both the junior and senior school.
I believe that what our school should strive for is a learning environment that’s comfortable and encouraging for students.

What are my intentions?

I will have the best interest of every student in mind, this means… upholding our school ROLES (Respect of, Others, Learning, Environment, and Self) well including communications, feedback, and mindfulness. Examples of this would be:
Opening up the communication of emotional mindfulness and respect between student and teacher during exam time, this is important to ensure NCEA students perform the best they can during exams. This means acknowledgement of students’ different learning styles and stress management.
Student’s regular feedback on their learning environment. Students who feel uncomfortable, threatened, or anxious in school have less chance of performing well by extension, affecting teachers working environment. This means open conversations about the ideal learning environment and how we can improve.
I hope to create long-lasting support systems to help our students reach their full potential by actively listening to students’ needs.