Kia ora e te whānau (parents, caregivers, students)
We acknowledge that Cyclone Gabrielle brings risks and uncertainty and therefore anxiety about the days ahead.
After considering all the information about the potential impact on the health and safety of staff and students we have decided to close the school on Monday 13 February 2023.
We will continue to monitor the situation and make a decision about school on Tuesday by Monday afternoon (approx. 4 pm). Given the situation, it would be wise to prepare for another day of closure, but we remain optimistic we can open.
We will also advise on Monday about the Year 9 Meet the Kaitiaki Event on Wednesday 15 February; the alternative date is Wednesday 22 February.
For those parents with children who need supervision, we can have the library open from 8.30 am, with supervision by the deputy principals. This for instance may be for those who are essential workers. Please advise if you need this option (email: email@example.com).
Students may have some tasks that have already been set on Google Classroom. At this time, our immediate concern is health and safety, not online learning, so there is no expectation of lessons being set at this time. If there are further disruptions there will be more provisions for online learning.
What we know (our main considerations)
– There is a red weather warning with predicted high rainfall and strong winds, especially on Monday.
– There is a significant chance of disruptions to traffic routes, and this may affect getting to school and returning home safely.
– There is a ‘state of emergency’ and recommendations to minimise travel, and limit any potential needs for emergency services.
– We may have surface flooding in the school, and we are uncertain about the effect of the high winds.
– Power cuts are possible (as has been experienced in Northland) and that poses a risk.
We hope that all preparations for the storm have been successful. Our thoughts go out to all communities affected and thank all emergency services for their preparation for this event.